Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Healthy, yummy strata!
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, diced
- cooking spray
- 1 whole wheat baguette, cubed
- 8 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomato, soaked in hot water until soft, then drained (not oil-packed)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Transfer the onion mixture to a medium bowl and let cool.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat and cook the mushrooms; stirring a few times, until their water evaporates and they begin to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Coat a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the bread cubes over the bottom. In a large bowl, beat the whole eggs, egg whites, milk, and mustard together until incorporated. Add the mushroom, onion, garlic mixture, broccoli, both cheeses, the sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir to incorporate. Pour the mixture over the bread, making sure the liquid saturates the bread. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap from the strata and bake until the top forms a light brown crust, 60-70 minutes.