Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From Fitness magazine April 2009. I used extra broth (6 cups) and less rice (1/4 cup) and it was still nice and thick. Use a good quality (organic) vegetable broth if possible.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (I use 4!)
- 8 cups fresh spinach or 8 cups kale leaves, coarsely chopped
- parmesan cheese, garnish
- In a 4 quart slow cooker, combine broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Cover; cook on low 5-7 hours or high 2-3 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese to taste.