Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Copy of the other recipe in my cookbook that I can't get to.
- 8 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mixed mushrooms, such as cremini and shiitake
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cognac or 1⁄4 cup other brandy
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the bread cubes out on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Trim the dry part from the bottom of the cremini stem and quarter.
- Stem and quarter the shiitakes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and brown, about 25 minutes.
- Add an additional tablespoon of butter, if needed, to prevent sticking. Carefully add the Cognac (if working over gas, pull the skillet from the heat), and simmer until the liquid is slightly syrupy.
- Stir in the chicken broth and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk the cream, eggs, and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl.
- Add the bread, mushroom mixture, and parsley and toss until the bread is moistened. Transfer the dressing to a buttered 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until the dressing sets and the top browns, about 1 hour. Let dressing sit for 15 minutes before serving.
I didn't make this....yet... but had this exact recipe for THanksgiving at friends' yesterday. This is undoubtedly one of the best dressings I've ever had... If you're looking for something just slightly different...but that everyone will love (even 'shroom haters!)...This is your recipe! Thanks for posting, you've saved me the trouble!!!! (I'd give this 10 stars if I could!)