Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't tried this yet, but it caught my eye off another website! This looks like total comfort food on a chilly night. This is a meal in itself with just a simple salad.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box (from 15-oz box)
- 473.18 ml water
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- 2.46 ml salt, if desired
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml white pepper
- 591.47 ml hungry jack mashed potato flakes
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml bacon bits or 4 slice bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 118.29 ml thinly sliced green onion (about 8 medium)
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml thinly sliced green onions (2 medium for garnish)
- 118.29 ml sour cream (garnish)
- Heat oven to 450°F
- Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell using 9-inch deep-dish glass pie pan or 9-inch glass pie pan. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool while making mashed potatoes.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, mix water, butter, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in potato flakes, 1/2 cup sour cream and the bacon bits.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup onions in bottom of cooled baked shell; sprinkle with cheese. Spoon and spread potato mixture evenly over cheese. Arrange tomato slices around edge, overlapping if necessary. Brush potato mixture and tomatoes with oil.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F; bake 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated in center. Cool 5 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons onions. Cut into wedges; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.