Recipe by Suse40
This was published in our newspaper and I have not seen another recipe like it--it is served in wedges like a pie, but it is a savory side dish for a holiday meal like Thanksgiving. It can be prepared ahead of time and briefly reheated just before serving.
- 1 pie crust, prepared
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently press pie crust into 9 inch tart pan, preferably one with removable bottom. Crimp and remove excess dough. Keep crust refrigerated while preparing filling.
- Steam cubed squash in a large steamer basket over 2 inches of boiling water for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain steamed squash well and place in blender, food processor, or a bowl if you use an immersion blender, Process squash until smooth.
- Add eggs, cheese, brown sugar, seasonings and process until smooth.
- Remove crust from refrigerator, and set the tart pan on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Carefully pour squash/egg mixture into the crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set at center.
- Cool slightly before cutting into slices.