Savory Vegan White Bean Tart
photo by MellyLou
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Earth Balance shortening
- 1⁄4 cup Earth Balance whipped spread
- 2 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 reg. sized russet potato
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large shallots
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 (15 ounce) can white cannellini beans
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Agave or 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- paprika (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the crust put all dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor, mix thoroughly, then add chilled shortening and Earth Balance. Either process or cut fat into dry mixture until pea-sized, then add 2-4 tablespoons ice water until mixture is a solid lump of dough (somewhere between not sticky, not dry but perfectly moldable). Flour a board, roll out dough so that it can cover a 10 inch tart pan. Gently fold in half and place dough in the refrigerator for at least 1/2-1 hour.
- Peel and cut the potato very thinly, placing in ice water and set aside.
- Cut mushrooms and shallots thinly. In a warm wide bottomed pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and add 1 teaspoons sea salt, mushrooms and shallots. Allow the mixture to caramelize on medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes. Add apple juice and white wine, saute until the mixture is dry, scraping browned remnants into the mixture. Set aside.
- In a small pan, place 3 tablespoons of olive, with thyme, basil and garlic cloves sliced lengthwise. Allow to saute for 3-4 minutes until aromatic and garlic is golden. ***You can substitute fresh herbs: 10 leaves, basil, 2 sprigs thyme (de-twigged!).
- Put 1 tablespoons flour first into a small mixing bowl and add 3 tablespoons warm water slowly, mix until there are no lumps. In the processor add rinsed white beans, tahini, maple/agave, garlic herb oil mixture, vinegar, flour mixture, 1/2 teaspoons salt and lemon juice and process until it is a fine thoroughly acquired paste. Then add chilled potatoes and process until pieces are about pea-sized.
- Add bean mixture to mushroom mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Take the dough, oil tart pan and gently form into crust. Pour in filling, smooth with the back of a spoon and dust with paprika. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until crust and filling are golden on the edges.
- This dish is best served luke-warm, or chilled! Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A vegan who loves non-vegan tasting vegan food! I search high and low for recipes that taste great, with ingredients that are low in sugar, fat and cholestoral. I'm vegan not just for health and animal rights, but for the health of our entire planet (a.k.a. sustainability). I'm an Art Center College of Design graduate (Environmental Design) and currently I make recycled stylish bags: nonnibags.com . <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">