Recipe by Vino Girl
From Better Homes and Gardens "Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes." (2002)
Top Review by Chef RZ Fan
This was really good. I doubled it in the 6qt "Smart Pot", set it on high and went shopping. When I got back it had swiched to warm and I added the tomatos, peppers and hot sauce. Yum-O, thanks for sharing this one.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried red beans or 1 1⁄4 cups dried red kidney beans, soaked drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans, onion, celery, garlic, bouillon, basil, and bay leaf in crock pot. Pour water over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 10 hours or on HIGH setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions; keep warm.
- Remove bay leaf from bean mixture; discard.
- Stir undrained stewed tomatoes, chili peppers, and hot pepper sauce into cooked beans.
- Cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve bean mixture over hot cooked rice.