Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a very pretty purple dish. Great with sausage or corned beef.
- 1⁄2 red cabbage
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Remove outside leaves of cabbage.
- With a sharp knife, chop cabbage into small pieces. Throw into colander and rinse.
- In large stovetop pot with lid, melt 2 teaspoons of butter at medium-high.
- Add onion to pan and sauté.
- Add chopped cabbage to pan.
- Peel apples, chop and add to pan.
- Combine water with vinegar, add brown sugar and bay leaves and stir.
- Pour liquid over cabbage mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil then cover and reduce heat to a low simmer for 25-35 minutes.