Prep 3 mins
Cook 14 mins
Posted in response to a request. This is a recipe from my dad's vegan cookbook. My sister used to be vegan, so he made it up for her and the rest of us, if we wanted to try the recipes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (29 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, reserving 1/2 cup of bean juice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced tomato, drained, juice reserved
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute onions for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add garbanzo beans and saute 7 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Add reserved bean and tomato juices, cumin, chili powder, and salt and cook, uncovered, on low to medium heat for 5 minutes to reduce sauce to gravy consistency.
- Add drained tomatoes, mix well, and serve.
This was good for DD1 (5 years old) and I since it was so simple. I used organic ingredients except for the spices.
I love simple recipes. This was very tasty and easy to make. It was a hit with our vegetarian household. Thanks.
Super easy recipe. Hard for me to pass by a great new chickpea recipe. Only thing I regretted was making this with a 15 ounce can of chickpeas and 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes. The original proportions would have been preferable. I accidentally drained the tomatoes without reserving juice, so I added about 1/4 cup V-8 juice to reduce to gravy consistency. Also I used about 1 tablespoon olive oil to reduce fat a bit. Thanks!