This is from a great new Vegan cookbook that my sister got me. I always looked at Vegan food as earthy and grose, but this really changed my mind.
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 5mins
- 1 lb tempeh
- 1 lb vegetarian sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian chicken flavored broth mix (check a HFS)
- olive oil, additional for cooking
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 can artichoke heart
- 1 cup rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel diced tomatoes, it doesn't say the ounces
- 1⁄2 large onion, dinced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- Cube and marinate tempeh in broth, olive oil, cajun seasonings, cayenne, and Tabasco overnight.
- Brown tempeh and tempeh sausage in pan with additional olive oil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add artichoke hearts.
- In large pot, put 2 T.
- olive oil, 1 T.
- cajun seasonings, onion, peppers, and garlic.
- Saute until onion is clear.
- Add 1 cup of rice and stir over high heat until rice is translucent.
- Add 2 cups of water and juice from can of Rotel.
- Stir and then cover.
- reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked-- remove from heat.
- Stir in tempeh mixture, can of Rotel, and salt and pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The directions regarding the Cajun spice mix and olive oil aren't clear, so because of this I give the directions only 2 stars. I used all of the Cajun spice called for and no cayenne. I only had Chipotle Tabasco on hand and it must be a lot hotter than regular, because I just used several dashes and the finished dish is very hot. I used only 8 oz. of tempeh and think a whole pound would have been much too much. Used a 13 oz. pkg. of Yves veggie brats for the sausage. If I make this again I'll use vegan ham instead of the tempeh because tempeh has such a strong flavor. All in all it's fairly good but I wouldn't make it again without making several changes.Reply