Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in an old restaurant cookbook. I brought them to a party and everyone raved about "the mushrooms". My friend's husband even tried to claim he was the chef! Mushrooms can be served whole or sliced (I prefer whole).
- 3 ounces melted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion (1 bunch)
- 2 lbs salad mushrooms, whole
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cabernet sauvignon wine (red)
- 3 -4 cups Burgundy wine
- In large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped scallions and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms begin to darken.
- Sprinkle with seasoned salt and cayenne pepper.
- Add burgundy and cabernet wine, enough to almost cover mushrooms.
- Saute, stirring occasionally until wine starts to bubble.
- Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft (about 30-40 minutes).
A classic recipe. I've been using it for months and I love it. This is a large recipe and I've halved it without problems. Sorry it took so long to rate it!