Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The stuffed zucchini are adorable and great on a cool fall night. My Domestic Accomplice calls them "Mad Hatters." They're great for company as they present well and you can make them earlier in the day and bake them later. Kids think they're cool. These are made with diced bread cubes to retain a rustic texture and complement the mozarella cubes. Also, you may follow the same method for stuffing globe eggplant.
- 8 round zucchini or 2 medium eggplants
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Scoop out the round zucchini, reserving the tops. Or scoop out the eggplant.
- Chop the vegetable centers you've scooped out and set aside.
- Cut the mozarella into cubes - about 1/3 inch.
- Chop the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Dice the bread into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Brown the sausage (breaking it up as you put it in the pan or as it cooks) along with the garlic and onion in the olive oil, crumbling the sasuage as you stir.
- When browned a bit, add the chopped vegetable centers and spices and stir until it softens and some of the liquid has evaporated if the vegetables are watery.
- Add the tomato sauce and bread cubes and stir until the cubes are softened.
- Remove the filling from the heat and add the mozarella cubes.
- Scoop the filling into the hollowed vegetables, top with the reserved tops and bake in a deep baking dish at 350 for about 45-60 minutes or until the filling is hot and the vegetable bowls are tender (but not falling apart). I find the vegetable bowls cook better if I cover the baking dish with foil for about half of the baking time.
The filling alone earned 5 stars. The zukes are still baking so I don't have a final product to rate but the filling is delicious! Even my daughter that greatly dislikes zucchini liked the filling.
Can't wait for dinner to enjoy the whole recipe.