Recipe by ellie_
Delicious fall/winter supper served with potatoes and rye bread. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1985)
Top Review by Barb G.
This a VERY different yet, delicious way to fix pork and sauerkraut. We loved it. Very easy to prepare, I made it just like the recipe said except made it using 2 pork steaks & 2 sausages, added same amount of onion, tomatoes, spices & sauerkraut. I could have made a meal just on the tomatoes & sauerkraut combination, yummy. Than you Ellie for sharing the recipe.
- 4 pork steaks, pounded with a meat tenderizer to 1/4 inch thick (or use 1/4-inch steaks cut from 3/4 pound pork tenderloin)
- 4 smoked link sausage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap one 1pork steak around one sausage and secure with toothpick. Repeat with remaining sausages and pork steaks.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage rolls and cook until browned on all sides (5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, caraway seeds and thyme. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Turn sausage rolls and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Stir in sauerkraut and cook 10 more minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Transfer sausage rolls to a platter, remove toothpicks and spoon sauerkraut mixture around sausage rolls.