Yes, this takes some effort but it is scrumptious. I think it is even better the next day.
Make and share this Sausage Potato Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is browned; drain and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan and egg; set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and the optional nutmeg until blended.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Layer half the potatoes in a greased 11x7 inch casserole dish.
- Top with half of the spinach mixture, sausage mixture, white sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Layer with remaining potatoes, spinach, sausage, and white sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
I put this recipe in too small a pan and it bubbled and spilled all over my oven, making a horrible mess -- all entirely my fault -- but you know what? I don't care a bit because it was the tastiest recipe I have had in ages!! Meat and two veg all covered in a creamy, garlicky sauce and baked until golden brown. How you could call that anything less than incredibly yummy I do not know. I also like to call it delicious, mouthwatering, scrumptious, irresistable and definitely a comfort food. My only recommendation? Make sure you use the right sized pan :-)
My family and I devoured your lasagna. I can't remember when I have seen them go at their dinner with so much enjoyment. WOW, my compliments to you. The layers of vegetables with the cream sauce and cheese were incredibly rich and delicious. I agree with what some of the others have said about the Italian sausage providing awesome flavor, too. It wasn't all that hard to put together either. I can add this to our growing list of favorite recipes from Nurse Di. Thanks.
This lasagna is the BEST. Total comfort food for my and my husband. The potatoes were so tender and we thought the Italian sausage gave this excellent flavor. The mushrooms and spinach and cheese make this extraordinary and scrumptious. Thanks Nurse Di. for a fabulous dish.