Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Yes, this takes some effort but it is scrumptious. I think it is even better the next day.
Top Review by Sackville
I put this recipe in too small a pan and it bubbled and spilled all over my oven, making a horrible mess -- all entirely my fault -- but you know what? I don't care a bit because it was the tastiest recipe I have had in ages!! Meat and two veg all covered in a creamy, garlicky sauce and baked until golden brown. How you could call that anything less than incredibly yummy I do not know. I also like to call it delicious, mouthwatering, scrumptious, irresistable and definitely a comfort food. My only recommendation? Make sure you use the right sized pan :-)
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is browned; drain and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan and egg; set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and the optional nutmeg until blended.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Layer half the potatoes in a greased 11x7 inch casserole dish.
- Top with half of the spinach mixture, sausage mixture, white sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Layer with remaining potatoes, spinach, sausage, and white sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.