Recipe by Midwest Maven
This is comfort food at its best, with a yummy Italian twist! This combines two favorites, sausage and peppers and creamy homemade mac n' cheese :)
Top Review by WicklewoodWench
This was really yummy!! I had to make 2 versions; 1 using cavatappi pasta as it is stated in the recipe, and 1 using gluten free pasta quills, so I could try it,,,the verdict was unanimous,,use any pasta and this is delicious!
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips 2 inches long (red, yellow and green)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (we like garlic, you can use less if you like)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup gorgonzola
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup garlic and cheese flavored croutons, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and put back in pasta pot.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter over me dium heat and add the peppers, onions and garlic.
- Saute the veggies until they get soft and the liquid from the peppers starts to evaporate.
- While this is cooking, take the sausage without casings and cook in a small skillet until cooked through, breaking up big pieces like you would ground beef.
- When the meat is cooked add to the pasta in the pasta pot.
- When the liquid in the veggies is almost gone and they are soft, a dd the flour and stir continuously for a couple minutes.
- Now add the milk and stir well.
- Stir the milk mixture occasionally until it thickens.
- Then add the 2 cups cheddar, 1 cup of the swiss and the 1 cup gorgonzola, and stir till melted.
- Add salt, pepper, and basil to the cheese sauce.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and sausage in the pasta pot and stir well.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the crushed croutons and 1 cup swiss cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until browned a little on top.