Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Southern Living; see note for OAMC instructions
Make and share this Sausage Cheese Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- Combine sausage, green onions, and green pepper in a skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until sausage is browned; drain excess fat.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, soda, salt, and red pepper.
- Combine egg and buttermilk.
- Add buttermilk mixture, sausage mixture, and cheese to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into greased muffin pans, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 28-30 minutes or until golden.
- Note: OAMC instructions--To Freeze: Freeze wrapped individually in plastic wrap, then put in ziplock.
- To Reheat: Microwave 10-20 seconds or until heated through.
I made these for brunch and they were very delicious. I like a heartier muffin and this fit the bill. The sausage and onion flavors combined well. A great addition to our breakfast smorgasbord. Thanks Nurse Di.
I'm not rating these, primarily because I screwed them up with my first attempt - forgot to make high altitude adjustments - so I have to make them again and will rate then. While mine were pretty flat (we live about 6,000 ft. elevation) they tasted pretty good. I have to admit, I couldn't stop eating them, so they are worth trying and adjusting to your personal taste. I could hardly taste the bell peppers, so I will use jalapenos next time. I really couldn't taste the cheese either, so I'll increase that a bit. The amount of chile flakes was just right (I thought.) Mine were a tad bit over-cooked at 28 minutes, so you may want to check them prior to that time. I LOVE the nutritional content of these muffins - better than most muffins.
I made these yesterday morning, and heated one from frozen on my way out the door this morning. A good basic recipe, but I think the next time I make it, I will substitute jalapenos and/or habaneros for the green peppers. I doubled the crushed red pepper but it wasn't quite as "zippy" as we normally like.