A take on chicken cacciatore from the busy girl's kitchen. Use italian sausage, bratwurst, kielbasa, turkey sausage, or chicken sausage flavored with sundried tomatoes if you can find it. In my opinion, the last sausage listed is the tastiest (and healthiest) with this dish. I added zucchini and yellow summer squash because I had them, you can leave them out if you prefer. Maybe add mushrooms instead! Serve over pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, cut in rings
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced fine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 links Italian sausage, raw, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced summer squash
- 1Cook onions and peppers over medium high heat for 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- 2Add garlic, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes more.
- 3Add tomatos and tomato soup, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Increase heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat back to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Add sausage. If using raw sausage, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until sausage is completely cooked through. If using pre-cooked sausage, reduce simmering time to 10 minutes.
- 5Add zucchini and summer squash slices, and cook for 5-8 minutes more. Squash should still be firm, not mushy, but cooked through.
- 6Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 7Serving suggestion: Spoon over angel hair or linguini. Also great with cheese tortellini. Pass the parmigiana!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.1
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 47.3 mg
- Sodium 1915.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 19.2 g