Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This complete recipe is made on top of the stove. You can make this with ground beef or chicken if desired. It's a very tasty dish!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages (casings removed)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 -2 celery rib, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice and chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb penne (dry pasta) or 1 lb rigatoni pasta (dry pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cannellini or 1 1⁄2 cups white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream (unwhipped)
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the crumbled sausage for about 8-10 minutes, breaking up with a spoon; drain any fat and set aside.
- Add oil to the skillet and add in carrot, celery, onion and garlic; cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, wine, tomato paste and the cooked sausage; mix to combine and reduce heat to a simmer; cook for about 45-50 minutes or until sauce has thickened (cook longer if desired).
- Meanwhile cook the pasta until just firm-tender; drain, but reserve 1/4 cup of the water.
- To the reserved water in a saucepan, add in the fresh spinach, beans, parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, cream, salt, pepper; cook over medium heat until hot and the spinach has wilted (about 3-4 minutes).
- Toss sauce with pasta in a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.