Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a great cooler weather chowder that comes together quickly.We like this with crusty rolls and maybe a side salad.After I brown my sausage, I drain it in a colander and then run hot water over it to remove as much grease as I can and then add it back to the pot, after I've wiped it out with paper towels. Originally from a February 1983 issue of Southern Living.
- 2 lbs bulk sausage (can use half mild and half spicy or all spicy if you're brave!)
- 4 cups water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven, stirring to crumble; drain off drippings.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.