Recipe by iris5555
From Cooking Pleasures magazine. If you don't have smoked paprika, you can use regular and spice it up a bit with some crushed red pepper or chipotle powder.
Top Review by A la Carte
This recipe was delicious and very hearty! DH was in heaven, as I rarely allow him to eat sausage. I didn't change a thing about the recipe, I only added the crushed red pepper at your suggestion, which gave it a tiny bit more heat. I thought the smokey flavor of the paprika went very well with the sausages. This will be on my winter pasta rotation from now on!
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canfire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons mild smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in onion; cook about 5 minutes or until onion is browned on edges.
- Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute or until onion is nicely browned and caramelized. (If garlic starts to brown too quickly, reduce heat.).
- Stir in tomatoes; simmer 5 minutes or until thick and chunky, stirring occasionally. Stir in paprika and sugar; simmer 2 minutes.
- Toss spaghetti with sauce; serve with cheese.