1/2 Photos of Sausage and Chicken Stew
1 hr 30 mins
Delicious. The original recipe I believe came from Bon Appetit April 1991 but was given to me by a close friend. I played around with it today and came up with this and it turned out very well, we think. It makes a very thick and rich stew/gumbo combination. Very cheesy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced (fully cooked) or 1 lb kielbasa
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 oz)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 6 oz)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- rice (optional)
- 1Heat a large stock pot over medium to medium high heat.
- 2Cook sausage until nice and brown, about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove sausage and set aside.
- 4Reserve 2 tablespoons fat from pan.
- 5Sauté onions until tender.
- 6Add bell peppers and garlic and cook until softened.
- 7Add wine, turn up heat and boil for 1 minute.
- 8Reduce heat to medium.
- 9Add potatoes, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, water, oregano, basil and marjoram and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 10Add sausage and chicken and green beans (if using) and simmer uncover for about 20-30 minutes.
- 11Add cheeses and serve over rice if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (660 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 914.4
- Calories from Fat 499
- Total Fat 55.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 179.1 mg
- Sodium 2058.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 54.4 g