Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a savory, hearty and figure-friendly fall or winter soup that is simple to prepare, and delightful to enjoy. Add any other vegetables you have on hand to enhance the delicious vegetable flavors. Enjoy.
- 1 lb Polish sausage, smoked, halved length-wise and chopped 3/4 inch
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped sausage and sautee until heated through.
- Add sausage, cabbage, carrots, garlic, onion, caraway seeds, italian seasoning, celery salt, broth, and water to crock pot. Cook on high for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining seasonings to crock pot, stir well. Continue cooking on high for three more hours until carrots are soft and all cabbage is cooked throughout. Enjoy!
Yummy! I had cabbage to burn so I was looking for something simple. I made no changes with this recipe. If you do not like caraway seeds this is not for you. The only change I would make is to reduce the carroway seeds. I would start with 1 1/2 tsp. I would make this again.
this was a grrreat soup, savory and buttery tasting, great for cool fall and winter feel good food. I agree with the 1.5 tsp of caraway seeds as well. The only other change I made was to use turkey sausage patties crumbled instead of pork, we don't do pork and this is also a less fattening option. Will do this recipe again and again.
This was great! Everyone here loved it. I substituted 10 oz. cooked 93% lean hamburg for the sausage (personal preference), and the next time I make it I will try 1/2 hamburg & 1/2 TVP. Also, I only used 1.5 tsp. of caraway seeds. This was the perfect amount for us. Everything else was the same as the posted recipe. Thank you for a really great recipe!