Recipe by andypandy
a tart sour soup...
Top Review by JohnKoz
I tried this recipe today & followed it with two exceptions. I used 3 cups whole milk only & added one can of cream of potato soup instead of a diced potato. At first I questioned the proportions, but found it quite nicely balanced for most peoples taste for saurkraut. I personally would add more kraut for my taste. I did not add lemon juice. Very nice. Very easy. I will try some variations on this like adding a bit of Nueske's bacon to kick up the smoked flavor a notch.
- 1 lb smoked sausage, left in casing (Keilbasa)
- 6 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 small potatoes, in a small dice (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces sauerkraut, with the liquids
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (this will make it more sour, taste to your desired likness before adding.) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the sausage coarsely into small pieces.
- Place the onion potato and sausage into saucepot and saute over med.
- heat, until meat is lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Combine the flour, thyme, and pepper and add to meat mixture and cook over med.
- heat until flour bubbles, about 6 minutes.
- Add milk, cream and cook until bubbling about another 6 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and bring to a boil.
- Taste now for seasonings, and if not too tart for you, you can add the lemon juice now.
- Boil until thickened.
- Add parsley and serve--.