Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Makes a fudgy, moist cake and it is fun to guess the ingredients.
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beer
- 2⁄3 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- Cream butter and sugar together, beating until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and and add to egg mixture alternately with beer, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Stir in sauerkraut.
- Pour batter in two 8-inch round pans or one tube pan, greased and floured.
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes and turn out of pan(s).
- Cool completely and frost with your favorite fudge icing.
I've made this cake before and it is good, but only on the first day. After a couple days the beer flavor really starts to come out. I ended up throwing most of it away.
I had my doubts when I made this cake because of the kraut but truly this is one of the most delicious cakes I have ever tried. I liked it so much I made a second one to carry to a friend of mine tomorrow. If you want a good cake, try this one.