Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy and cheaper way to enjoy the taste of sauerbraten.
Make and share this Sauerbraten Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg (slightly beaten )
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (melted ) or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine (melted )
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 gingersnaps (coarsely crumbled )
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 peppercorns (crushed )
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Combine ground beef, onion, egg, salt, and black pepper; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-inch meatballs. Brown meatballs in butter in a large skillet over medium heat; drain well. Combine remaining ingredients except sour cream; mix well. Pour over meatballs; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove meatballs to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain sauce; stir in sour cream, and pour over meatballs.