Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an "old fashioned" recipe for Sauerbraten which requires a long (5 day) marinading time. The meat is very tender with that old fashioned flavor (like grandma made). True comfort food!
- Place meat in a bowl, set aside.
- Combine vinegar, water, peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, salt and pepper in a sauce pan and heat just to boiling.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Pour mixture over meat, and let cool.
- Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate for 5 days, turning meat once a day.
- Remove meat from marinade and drain thoroughly.
- Strain and reserve marinade.
- Put pot roast into a Dutch oven (very large covered pot), and brown meat on both sides.
- Add 1 cup of the reserved marinade, the carrots and onions.
- Bring rapidly to boiling, cover tightly and simmer about 2 hours, or until tender.
- If necessary, add more marinade while simmering.
- Remove meat to a warm platter and keep warm.
- Stir the crushed gingersnaps and sugar into the liquid in Dutch oven.
- Simmer the gravy for 10 minutes.
- Serve Sauerbraten with the gingersnap gravy, red or white cabbage and kartoffel balle (potato balls) to complete the meal.