Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Company's Coming Make Ahead meals by J. Pare. You can also add green, red, or jalapeño peppers to the meat sauce if desired. You can also make this in 2 8x8 baking pans.
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, with juice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I use Bulk Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Cottage Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- For meat sauce: Scramble fry ground beef, onions, and celery until lightly brown. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer while making cheese sauce.
- For Cheese sauce: combine ingredients and mix well.
- To assemble: put a small amount of meat sauce in a 9X13 inch baking pan. Top with 4 lasagna noodles. Add 1/3 of remaining meat sauce. Top with 1/2 of cheese sauce, 4 additional noodles, then repeat layers, ending with the meat sauce.
- Sprinkle cheddar and Monterey jack cheese over lasagna.
- Bake , uncovered, for 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To freeze: Bake, cool, wrap well, and label. freeze up to 2 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight and then bake until warmed through, or bake from frozen for 1 hour and a half.
This was decent, but my family was not very impressed. The leftovers did not get eaten out of the fridge lets just say. I think this would probably be better if it went further on the "santa fe" margin of things. It seemed like a strange regular lasagna but with green chilis....not the best we've had.
Excellent meal! To make it Vegetarian, I used a 15 oz. can of Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed, instead of the meat. It was perfect, really tasty and definitely going into my regular rotation of meals.
This was extremely well liked in my house even by a non-lasagne eater. I made a few small changes based on availability: no chilies so I used a 16 oz jar of salsa instead of the tomato sauce and only used 3 noodles in my layers, diced tomatoes in place of crushed. I ended up using 2 cups of cheese total, that's what size the packages were and I didn't want little bits leftover. I look forward to eating the leftovers tonight!