Stroganoff Sauce for Meatballs
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Add mushroom and onions and sauté until soft.
- Stir in flour and water.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly thickened, stirring often.
- Add meatballs and simmer until heated through.
- To freeze: Double or triple sauce and divide into 3 cup containers or freezer bags. Label and freeze for up to 3 months; Defrost in fridge overnight or in microwave; add cooked meatballs and cook or bake until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I needed a sauce for frozen meatballs, and I'm glad I tried this one! I added a splash of worcestershire sauce. I got a little lazy, so instead of cooking noodles in a separate pot, I dropped them into the sauce pot...sort of a 'meatball helper' shortcut! So, instead of adding more flour, the pasta thickened the sauce to the right consistency for our taste. (oh - I thawed the meatballs first!)
This was very easy to prepare and has a rich mushroomy flavor. I did find that I needed more than 2 tbs of flour to achieve a good thickness to the sauce, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I sampled a couple spoonsful and the rest is in the freezer awaiting a day when I make some meatballs.