Recipe by drhousespcatcher
from a McDougall site with slight changes. Real slight. Sandi's Menu at Geocities.
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup green beans
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces stewed tomatoes (optional) or 8 ounces fresh diced tomatoes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk or 1 1⁄2 cups rice milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (may use dried, if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients into crock pot in the morning, cooking on low all day (8 - 10 hours). If desired, you may thicken the broth with a tablespoons of cornstarch mixed into a little water.
- NOTE: Turn up to high, allow broth to bubble, then add cornstarch mixture or dumplings. Dumplings will take longer to cook in the crock pot.
- Mix lightly then drop by tablespoon into simmering stew, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Note: By adding a little less milk and/or a little more flour, you can have drop biscuits (omit parsley, if desired). Add your favorite herbs for delicious herb dumplings/biscuits.
- OH YEAH DO NOT PEEK.