Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hearty South American soup pot. Serve with hot, fresh cornbread.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, finely diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups v- 8 juice or 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- black pepper
- 4 cups celery, chopped in 2-inch slices
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- Brown beef slowly in oil in a soup pot. Remove beef.
- Sauté onion and garlic until tender, but not browned.
- Add 2 cups water, V-8 or tomato juice, vinegar, bay leaf, cumin seed, salt and pepper. Return beef to pot; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf (if you can find it).
- Add celery, carrots and oregano. Bring back to boil.
- Cover; reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add corn. Cover; simmer 5 minutes.