Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
have not had a chance to make this yet..want to with grandchildren
Make and share this Saltwater Taffy recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon food coloring
- 3⁄4 teaspoon extract, of your choice
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and water in a 2 quart pan.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly till sugar dissolves.
- Heat mixture without stirring, until it reaches a hard boil stage.260* --
- Remove from heat mix in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a lightly buttered jelly roll pan.
- Cool until just able to handle.
- Butter hands -- gather taffy into a ball and pull.
- Continue to pull until light in color and hard to pull.
- Divide into fourths.
- Pull each fourth into a 1/2" thick rope --
- Cut into 1" pieces using buttered scissors --
- Wrap individually in waxed paper -- .
I've never made taffy before and have always been a little afraid of candy-making, but this recipe worked remarkably well! I used Watkins cherry flavor and red food coloring (to make it pink). Pulling the taffy wasn't terribly complicated, but it was a lot of physical work. I basically pulled the warm mixture into a rope, folded it over on itself, then pulled again, folded it, etc. It was very sticky and I kept having to butter my hands, but after a while it started to get less sticky. You know it's almost ready when you don't need to butter your hands anymore. I shared this with my co-workers and they loved it and kept coming back for more. It is quite delicious and addicting!