Salt Water Taffy
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lorann gormet flavoring
- In a heavy saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in corn syrup, water, salt, and margarine.
- Place over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Cover pan and bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover, place thermometer in pan and cook to 266°F
- Remove from heat and add food coloring and flavoring oil.
- Stir gently, pour onto a greased marble slab or a shallow greased pan to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, grease hands and pull until light and has a satiny gloss.
- Pull into a long rope, cut with scissors and wrap in waxed paper squares, twisting ends.
- Makes 50 pieces.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY