Recipe by Nyteglori
From a recipe book on 18th century frontier outpost recipes. Note a spider is a cast iron skillet.
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 6 cups water
- 2 lbs salt pork, thinly sliced
- 4 potatoes
- 4 small onions
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer dried split peas until almost tender in water.
- Brown salt pork in spider until crisp.
- Put browned meat in kettle with pease, sliced potatoes, and onions.
- In spider add flour to grease left from browning the pork. (You need to add enough flour to absorb all the grease.).
- Slowly mix in water and cook until gravy consistency, stirring constantly.
- Add gravy to kettle and cook until vegetables are tender, adding additional water as needed.