Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
Rubbing with salt and sugar before grilling results in really succulent shrimp. This is a Sunset recipe.
- Rinse shrimp and drain. In a large bowl mix together salt and sugar. Add shrimp and stir to coat evenly. Cover bowl and chill at least 45 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- If using wooden skewers, get them soaking in water for about 20 minutes. Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking.
- Rinse salt and sugar from shrimp and pat dry. Thread shrimp in a C shape onto metal or wooden skewers. Lay the skewers in a rimmed pan. In a glass bowl, combine oil, lemon juice and garlic; Pour over shrimp and turn skewers to coat evenly. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Lay skewers on grill over hot coals or high heat on a gas grill. Close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning once, until shrimp are bright pink on the outside and opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer skewers to a platter and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze juice over.
I believe that this recipe must work, but I must have not rinsed the shrimp well enough. They were very very salty. Just a warning to the next person to try it. Rinse well.
I know this may sound a little unusual at first, but the results are amazing and it's very easy. You can also put the shrimp under the broiler if you'd rather not BBQ. I sometimes add some fresh herbs (dill, thyme, whatever you have) with the olive oil.