Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The meatballs have just a hint of salsa they are moist and tender. I came up with this when I jarred some salsa. I had some extra that didn't fit into the jars so into the ground meat it went. I was thinking I was making hamburgers but made it to moist so in went bread crumbs next thing I knew I was rolling them into balls and browning them in garlic flavored oil. You can serve just browned, in your favorite sauce over pasta or in a sandwich.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 2 cups ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup salsa, strained (reserving liquid for pasta sauce)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced basil
- 2 quarts prepared pasta sauce
- In a large frying pan heat oil over low heat add garlic and let simmer while mixing meatballs.
- In a large bowl mix ground beef,.
- bread crumbs, salsa, egg, and Worcestershire sauce just till blended and form into balls.
- Raise heat to medium remove the golden browned garlic and reserve for pasta sauce.
- Brown meatballs in oil turning to brown on all sides.
- If they are sticking to pan that means they are not ready to be turned.
- In a large pot heat oil add onions till translucent.
- Mince golden browned garlic and add to the onions adding the reserved salsa liquid and herbs.
- Place the meatballs on the onion mixture and pour the prepared sauce over and simmer for 10 minutes over medium low heat. Gentle stirring after 5 minutes.
These meatballs were easy to make and tasty and browned perfectly in my electric skillet. I did use ground round and doubled the amount as the meat mixture seemed to wet. For the pasta sauce I used garlic and onion flavor which went well with the meatballs. Thank you Rita!