Italian oven-dried tomatoes in Olive Oil
photo by Hey Jude
- Ready In:
4 half pints
- 6 ripe Italian tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (Roma)
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian herb seasoning (such as basil, oregano or rosemary)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 225°.
- Combine tomatoes, 2 T. olive oil, herbs, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl.
- Arrange tomatoes in rows on a parchment-lined cookie sheet; bake 1 hr.
- Cool to room temperature, about 15 min.
- Place in 4 half-pint canning jars.
- Add remaining olive oil to cover tomatoes in each jar.
- tightly cover jars.
- **Note: Olive oil will solidify in the refrigerator, but this won't affect the tomatoes. The oil will re-liquify at room temperature.
Indoor sun-dried tomatoes. This is a little energy intensive to make on its own, but if you have the oven on anyways, it is very tasty. We usually eat them up before we get to the packing in oil step. You do need to squeeze out the tomato pulp, or it takes forever to dry. (Drink it down or toss it in the soup pot, don't throw the pulp out.)
I am in the process of making them. The flavor is wonderful but mine turned out mushy instead of tried. I am doing another batch but I halved the tomatoes, scooped out the seeds and I'm doing them in the microwave 15 minutes, turning them and another 10 minutes. We'll see. The flavor is terrific. Gloria
see 3 more reviews