Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
This delicious cornbread received 5-stars on eatingwell.com on Yahoo! Food
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup equivalent dry buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup drained canned corn kernel
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet (or similar ovenproof skillet, see Tip) in the oven to heat.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, butter and honey in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula.
- Stir in corn, onion, tomato, garlic and jalapeno.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and coat it with cooking spray.
- Pour in the batter, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake the cornbread until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.