Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A savory sauce for fish (but might also be good on chicken or beef, too) from the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon celery leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 egg, hard-cooked, peeled and chopped
- Cook onion in oil until tender; add flour and allow to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients except egg.
- Simmer about ten minutes.
- Add egg and serve over fish.