Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is very versatile it can be served as a main course with a salad for a light, healthy summer time meal or it can be served as a appetizer, or as part of a buffet style meal along with other dishes. I have made this a few times now both as a main and also as part of a BBQ when I had 40 people over, it is always received well. I have listed the weight below as 1kg and I feel this would serve 4-5 as a main with a nice green salad and some crusty bread and about 10 as an appetizer or as part of a buffet style meal. Cooking time does not including resting time or chilling time if you choose that option.
- cooking spray or olive oil
- 1 kg salmon fillet
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- ground sea salt
- ground black pepper
- coriander sprig, for garnish (optional)
- lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
Coriander (Cilantro) Mango Salsa
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced red pepper
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander or 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Make salsa first by combining lemon juice, dressing and honey in a screw top jar, shake to combine.
- Combine dressing with remaining ingredients in a glass bowl, refrigerate until needed. Salsa can be made up to 2 hours ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
- Pre-Heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place salmon in an oven proof dish, that has been lightly greased with either cooking spray or oil.
- Brush salmon with olive oil, squeeze lemon over salmon, Sprinkle with ground sea salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 Min's or until fish flakes easily, cooking time will vary depending on thickness of the salmon.
- Remove salmon from pan, allow to cool for 15 minutes. Either serve now, lukewarm, or refrigerate salmon for at least 2 hours to chill. Will last longer but chill no more than 24 hours. (I have done both and both are equally nice.).
- To Serve: Place salmon on a serving platter, Spoon small amounts of salsa over, garnish with lemon and coriander sprigs. Serve remaining salsa in a bowl on the side.
Fantastic recipe that was enjoyed by all of my family. I love mango and avocado together and adore salmon...I just knew this recipe was a winner :) Reviewed for Aus/NZ Forum December 2011 Recipe Swap
Wonderful recipe! Summer fresh flavours and easy to prepare. I took the salmon from the oven and put the salmon (Skin facing down) on a hot pan to make the skin crispy. (Just as our family enjoys eating it). Other then this I kept to the recipe. I made the salmon using 3 large portions of salmon (650 grams) but I make the salsa I using all the stated amounts. Thank so much The Flying Chef for a yummy recipe.