Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious way to enjoy a low calorie recipe. This came from a 1986 Weight Watchers cookbook.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 8 ounces canned salmon, drained, skinned & flaked
- 3 ounces swiss cheese, shredded (swiss)
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 425. In medium bowl beat 1 egg and add rice, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, mixing well. Spray an 8 x 8 square pan with cooking spray and press the rice mixture into the bottom of pan and up sides to form a crust. Bake until lightly browned - 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Reduce oven temp to 350, spray skillet with noncook spray and cook celery, onion and bell peppers until softened (1 - 2 minutes). Stir in tomato sauce; reduce heat and let simmer 2 - 3 minutes. Transfer to medium mixing bowl; add salmon and swiss cheese, mixing well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and remaining eggs. Add to the salmon mixture, stir thoroughly. Pour salmon mixture into crust, bake on middle rack for 40 - 45 minutes (until pie is lightly browned and a knife, inserted in centre, comes out clean). Remove from oven, let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.