Mother-in-law made this for our Thanksgiving weekend wedding rehearsal, back in 1978. It has been a part of our holiday menu every year since then---with a few additions, substitutions and tweaking over the years. Try some of the optional ingredients, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute meats in large frying pan. While that is cooking, cube the bread (leave the crusts on).
- 2Dump bread cubes into a large bowl. When meat is cooked through, dump into a colander to rinse and drain; then add to the bread cubes, toss lightly.
- 3In same frying pan, add a dab of butter and saute the mushrooms. When they begin to get limp and juicy, dump into bowl with meat-bread mixture. Toss lightly.
- 4In frying pan, with another dab of butter, saute onion and celery. When onion is transparent either dump into bowl and toss OR dump into blender jar along with 1/4-1/2 cup melted butter and swirl into fine-ness. (This is for the kids who don't like to see chunks of "yukkies" as my son complains!), THEN pour over bread cube mixture and mix inches.
- 5Sprinkle herbs over the top, and toss again.
- 6Depending on how "juicy" you like your stuffing/dressing, melt another 1/2 cup of butter and drizzle over and stir.
- 7This is used for stuffing turkey, goose or chicken.
- 8Dressing can be baked in a greased, covered casserole dish at 325-350°F for 30-40 minutes.
- 9OPTIONAL ADD-INs: Try one or two of the following suggestions: 1-2 small cans sliced (minced) water chestnuts, 1/2 - 1 cup green olives, 1 cup chopped toasted nuts (walnuts are great!). Try a 1/4-1/2 cup cornmeal for an entirely different flavor.
- 10SUBSTITUTE: 1-2 small cans of drained mushroom stems and pieces instead of the fresh ones. Other herbs and LOTS of pepper are great too. Try a combination of wholewheat and white bread.
- 11LEFTOVERS: Reheat in the oven or microwave; keep pan covered unless you like it a bit drier. Use as a bread-like crust for Turkey Divan (with broccoli spears, turkey pieces, grated cheese and cream-of-mushroom soup over the top--baked).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sage & Sausage Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.1
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 66.3 mg
- Sodium 373.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 10.6 g