This is a dessert recipe from Iran. I have not tried it but posted it by request. You need to allow a few hours for the rice to soak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the pudding
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons saffron threads, crushed and dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 tablespoons almonds, slivered and blanched
- 4 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, slivered or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bottled rose water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 whole blanched almonds
- 1Start a few hours ahead of time by preparing the rice by picking out any dark or discoloured grains and then washing in a colander until the water runs clear.
- 2Place the rice in a large bowl or pot with the salt and enough cold water to cover by an inch and soak for about 2 hours.
- 3Drain the rice, then bring the 2 quarts water to a boil over a high heat.
- 4Stirring constantly, pour the rice in a slow thin stream.
- 5Turn the heat down very low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 6Stir in the sugar, then add the butter and saffron mixture and continue stirring until the sugar dissolves, the butter has melted and the rice is bright yellow.
- 7Stir in the slivered almonds and 1 tbsp of the pistachios and, stirring frequently, cook for 30 minutes longer or until the mixture can hold its shape almost solidly in the spoon.
- 8Stir in the rose water and ladle the mixture into a large, heatproof serving bowl.
- 9Spread it out with a spatula and sprinkle the top with two thin crossing lines of cinnamon to divide it into quarters.
- 10Sprinkle each quarter with the remaining 3 tbsp of pistachios and decorate with whole almonds.
- 11Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until the pudding is chilled and firm.
- 12Serve directly from the bowl.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Rice Pudding -- Sholeh Zard
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.9
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 2430.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 33.7 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: