Sholeh Zard- Saffron Rice Pudding
- Ready In:
- 1hr 1min
- Wash and rinse the rice several times.
- In a large pot, bring the rice and 8 cups of water to a boil. Skim off the foam as it rises. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes until the rice is soft.
- Add 2 more cups water, as well as the sugar. Simmer for 25 minutes longer, stirring occasionally (be careful to not over-stir).
- Grind the saffron and dissolve in a couple tablespoons of hot water.
- Add the saffron water, corn oil, almonds, cardamom and rose water. Mix well, cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Remove the cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes longer, or until the rice has thickened to a pudding. Remove from heat.
- Immediately spoon the Sholeh Zard into a large bowl or individual serving dishes.
- Garnish with cinnamon, slivered almonds or slivered pistachios, if desired.
- Chill and serve cold.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a junior at the University of Illinois @ Urbana Champaign, studying Speech and Hearing Science with a concentration in Audiology. I grew up in a very small rural town in northern Illinois and attended a residential high school (IMSA) in Aurora. I love soccer, fishing, dissecting stuff, drawing and painting, henna, pyrography, knitting (although I am not very good at it!) cooking and prowling for recipes online, Judaism, reading, rock climbing, and the outdoors. I hope to pursue a doctorate in Audiology (AuD) after undergrad. I have always loved cooking and trying new foods, and moving into my first apartment has been a wonderful opportunity to do so. However, it has also been quite a transition getting used to actually cooking for myself everyday, without making a huge ordeal. I do believe I am getting better at fixing a meal in a more efficient amount of time :)