1/9 Photos of Saffron Couscous With Herbs
This is a wonderful couscous that can stand alone or will compliment a Middle Eastern inspired main dish. You can use less oil if you prefer. UPDATE: Based on some of the reviews I have increased the stock from 2 cups to 2.5 cups and I have increased the servings to 8 instead of 6. The quantity of herbs should be somewhat according to how much you like and which kind of herbs (strong/mild flavour) you are adding.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pinch saffron, crumbled
- 2 cups couscous (whole wheat or regular)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/4 cup sultana raisin
- 1 1/2 cups mixed herbs, finely chopped (including mint, cilantro, flat-leaf parsley)
- kosher salt ground pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Place sesame seeds and pine nuts in small baking dish. Bake in preheated 400F oven until lightly golden, watching carefully so they don't burn, about 5 minutes. Or cook carefully on a skillet.
- 2In small skillet, on medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile in large saucepan, bring stock and saffron to boil over high heat. Remove from heat. Add couscous; stir. Cover; let stand 15 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- 4Toss with oil, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Add sesame seeds, pine nuts, onions, raisins and herbs. Toss gently. Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Couscous With Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.6
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 125.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: