Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
If you are a true lover of saffron then this bread is for you. Saffron is the world's most expensive spice with 225,000 crocus stigmas are need to make a single pound. This is a bread for special occasions or when you want any occasion special. This is a great bread to serve with seafood and hearty soups. Source: Electric Bread.
- 295.73 ml tepid water
- 709.77 ml white bread flour
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1.23 ml saffron thread
- 9.85 ml yeast
- Place the egg in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes in order to safely reach room temperature.
- Using a mortar and pestle grind the saffron threads into fine powder.
- Place the ingredients into the bread machine in order given.
- Turn bread machine to white bread cycle and press start.
- When bread is done, remove from machine and place on wire rack to cool.
This bread machine recipe was easy and made a very fine 2 lb loaf of saffron bread. I was a bit leery about the order of the last 4 ingredients, but I wanted to test the recipe as written (with the exception of adding 1/4+ teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 2 crushed sugar cubes on top of the dough at the 2nd beep). I think this recipe would also work well with a dough setting, make a traditional braid of the dough, rise again, then bake in a 375F oven for ~25 minutes. I served this bread with some Finnish stew - enjoyed very much.