Homemade French Bread (abm)
Chewy and crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. Recipe found on the internet.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- Place all bread dough ingredients in bread machine and select dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough and roll into a 12"x15" rectangle on a lightly floured board.
- Roll up from long side and pinch seam to seal.
- Fold ends under.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Make 4 diagonal cuts with a sharp knife across top of bread.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
- Beat egg white and water; remove bread from oven and brush with egg wash.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
My 3, 6, and 8-yr. old grand-daughters had a lot of fun making their own small loaves of bread. I cut the batch of dough into 3 pieces and they each formed their own. I was so surprised how few simple ingredients made such good tasting bread. I did have to add quite a bit of extra flour to obtain the right consistency in my machine. I know we will make this bread often in the future.<br/> Thanks for posting this recipe.
fantastic bread!! i followed the directions exactly and it came out perfectly. i was a little disappointed in myself because i forgot to do the egg wash - it would have looked so good! anyways, turned it into a loaf of garlic bread and the family couldn't get enough of it. i made it last weekend, and i'm going to make it again today. its a snowy day here, so i'm making some broccoli soup and this bread (but i think i'm going to try sprinkling some grated cheddar on the dough when i roll it out. thanks for a great recipe!!