Recipe by Yrhaven (aka Condiment Queen)
This is my adapted version of a "safe" mayonnaise. I wouldn't say it's 100% safe as only the egg yolks are heated, which is why I just call it "safer" lol. As with anything homemade as opposed to store bought, it has an altogether different flavor, there's really no comparison. I have it here with 2T of lemon juice, which some people may feel is too much, but I like mine lemony. Also, you can adapt it to different types of oil (I usually make it with canola oil) but am going to try it next time with a light olive oil. Feel free to add other herbs and spices to suit your tastes and recipes, but just as it is here it is wonderful. My mom always told me homemade mayonnaise was more trouble then it's worth, but once I made this I found it was really easy and definitely worth it, and I especially like that it can be made in a blender and does not separate as I've heard other recipes do.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is always better)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt (scant)
- 1 cup oil (your preference)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (freshly grated is wonderful)
- 1 pinch black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate eggs, put yolks in pan, & whites in blender.
- Heat the eggs YOLKS, lemon juice, water, & sugar in a small pan over Very low heat, stirring & scraping bottom of the pan CONSTANTLY with a spatula. At the first sign of thickening, remove pan from heat but continue stirring.
- Dip bottom of pan into cold water (sink, or larger bowl) to stop cooking, (being careful to not get any of the water into your egg mixture).
- In the meantime in blender, whip your reserved egg whites until frothy & slightly thickened.
- Then add your cooled egg mixture to the blender & egg whites, & blend for about 5 seconds or so, then let stand uncovered for 5 minutes to cool.
- Add dry mustard, salt, (other suggestions; pinch of cayenne pepper, black pepper, nutmeg).
- Cover &, with the blender running, drizzle the oil in very slowly down the center hole of the egg mixture (it is like a tornado) until all oil is added, & for a about 15 seconds more.
- Transfer mayonnaise into a clean (preferably glass) container & chill immediately.
- This will keep for at least 7 days refrigerated.
- This makes approximately 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise.