Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Mariana Nasa, a Rumanian Living in London, won a newspaper cookery contest with this recipe.
- 3 -4 lbs pork loin roast, boned and rolled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ground cumin
- beef stock (or as needed) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
WINE AND VINEGAR MARINADE
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 6 -8 peppercorns
- Rub the meat with salt, pepper and a generous pinch of cumin.
- Place in a large earthenware dish and let it stay for three to four hours in a cool place.
- FOR THE MARINADE, combine all of the ingredients and simmer them for about 15 minutes in a covered pan.
- Let the marinade cool.
- Pour the cooled marinade over the meat.
- Turning the meat from time to time, let it marinate for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, place it in an oven-proof casserole and roast it for 25 minutes, turning it once.
- Now pour over the marinade liquid and vegetables, cover the casserole and cook the meat for about one hour.
- Baste from time to time and add stock if the juice reduces too much.
- When ready, place the meat on a hot serving plate.
- Degrease the cooking juices and strain them through a fine sieve into a small saucepan.
- Mix the sour cream with the cornstarch and stir it into the juices.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring the gravy until it is smooth and thick.
- Correct the seasoning.
- Serve the roasted loin sliced, pouring the gravy over the meat.
- Garnish with watercress.
- The Sunday Times Best British Meat Dishes.