Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I don't usually eat fruit for dessert (I like my desserts to be as unhealthy as possible, apparently). If this sauce is served with it, though, I'm pretty thrilled to have fruit for a treat...maybe because it stops being healthy once it's smothered in a rum custard sauce? This makes 1 1/2 cups of sauce.
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 -4 tablespoons rum (I use 4 tb. white rum)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a double boiler.
- Heat the sauce, whisking continuously, for about 5 minutes, just until it thickens (don't let it boil, or it will curdle!).
- Remove from the heat. Serve warm or chilled -- both ways are good!
I made this and adjusted the amount for 8 servings. It was great! I made it early in the day and it deflated a little so I had to whisk again but it didn't hurt the taste. I used 6 tbs of rum and it was very flavourful.
This was excellent with a colourful fruit salad. The only thing was I didn't make enough of the sauce given the huge size of the salad. I love to cook with alcohol and I'm sure I'll make this again in the future! Thanks for the recipe!