Recipe by LorenLou
Absolutely one of the best cakes ever! It keeps for a long time and freezes well.
Top Review by cakiegirljds
This is the best rum cake ever! It may be the best cake ever! every time I try a different cake I always wish I had made this instead! it is moist and delicious! Thanks for posting!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (without pudding in mix)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs or 4 egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum (Myers is preferred)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Beat all cake ingredients together, except nuts, for 7-8 minutes.
- Fold nuts into batter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Test for doneness.
- Remove cake from oven.
- Once you remove, begin making the topping.
- Boil the sugar, water and margarine for two minutes, stirring constantly so that the mixture does not boil over.
- Turn off heat, and add rum- mixing well.
- Ladle the hot topping mixture over the hot cake (still in the pan).
- Let cake cool in pan until all liquid is absorbed.
- Turn out onto cake plate.
- Wonderful as is, or you may serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.