Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Absolutely one of the best cakes ever! It keeps for a long time and freezes well.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (without pudding in mix)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs or 4 egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum (Myers is preferred)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Beat all cake ingredients together, except nuts, for 7-8 minutes.
- Fold nuts into batter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Test for doneness.
- Remove cake from oven.
- Once you remove, begin making the topping.
- Boil the sugar, water and margarine for two minutes, stirring constantly so that the mixture does not boil over.
- Turn off heat, and add rum- mixing well.
- Ladle the hot topping mixture over the hot cake (still in the pan).
- Let cake cool in pan until all liquid is absorbed.
- Turn out onto cake plate.
- Wonderful as is, or you may serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
This is the best rum cake ever! It may be the best cake ever! every time I try a different cake I always wish I had made this instead! it is moist and delicious! Thanks for posting!
This is the best rum cake I've ever made. My husband will do almost anything for a piece of this cake. I think I'll make it again this weekend while he does the laundry! Thank you, LaurenLou!!
My mom and I have made this rum cake for years -- it's really delicious! I think the main thing that sets this one apart from the other rum cake recipes is the key: spoon the glaze over the cake while it's still in the bundt pan, so it all can be absorbed. You wouldn't want to waste any of the glaze! I always poke deep holes in the cake with a wooden skewer first, to get the glaze thoroughly distributed.